Print this page

MCT red-mark operators misused funds and no more future funding supports

19 May 2015
Author 

TOURISM operators who allegedly misused tourism funds over the past years will not be able to get any more funds from the Government.

The Ministry of Culture and Tourism (MCT) issued the warning last week.

Director for Tourism within the Ministry Barney Sivoro, revealed this during the official launching of the National Tourism Strategic Plan 2015-2019 at National Museum on Friday.

Mr Sivoro revealed that huge number of operators have been assisted by Ministry over the past years but have abused the funds by not completing their project.

He highlighted that this year tourism funds have increased but the Ministry will be very tough in allocating them to interested operators.

“It means operators who have misused the funds and failed to complete their project will not be recognised and get further funding support.”

He pointed out that distribution of application forms for operators will also be monitored to ensure forms are given to appropriate operators,” Mr Sivoro said.

He said, all staff within the Ministry have been advised to identify people who have tourism background and are honest.

“I have advised my staff to monitor and identify potential operators rather than giving application forms to people who just want funds for personal use.

“We have many tourism recipients which receive funds from the Ministry a number of times but never utilised the money which is a big loss for the government.

“So during this round these operators will not able to get any more funds,” Mr Sivoro said.

Meanwhile Mr Sivoro commended operators who have utilised the funds for its right purpose.

“I would like to acknowledge all tourism operators throughout the country who have utilised the funds for its right purpose.

“I want to assure you that the Ministry will continue work closely with you to improve your facility,” Mr Sivoro said.

By DENVER NEWTER

 

1345 Views
Editor

Latest from Editor