Montros Ngoro, Sam Dangi, Bendley Biara and Tubara Biara all face one count each of murder.
This was in relation to the murder of a man at Poitete, last year.
The men are in custody awaiting their trial.
Their lawyer made a bail application on his clients’ behalf on
July 12, but that application has been refused.
This is a second bail application made for the men.
The first bail application made in Gizo in 2010 was refused.
The men were remanded in custody since the end of February
They were committed to the High Court for trial in May 2010
following a short form preliminary inquiry conducted into their case at the
Honiara Magistrate’s Court.
Justice David Chetwynd when delivering his ruling on the second
bail application on July 15 said nothing new has been put forward which could
otherwise establish exceptional circumstances.
But he said he will be keeping an eye the case and if there
are no or little sign of apparent progress made in bringing the accused to
trial, he shall of his own volition, bring the case back before the court.
“The constitution protection given to the accused by section
5(3) can then be re-considered.”
So far no dates have been fixed for their next court hearing.
John Smith Pitabelama of JSP legal service represents the men while Florence Joel of the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) represents the Crown.By ASSUMPTA BUCHANAN
|< Prev||Next >|