South Pacific Oil Limited (SPOL) constructed the tank without a permit and only submitted their application during the construction of the facility.
However, during a HCTCPB meeting Wednesday last week the board rejected the application based on the risk this facility could cause to the public and properties in the central business district and during natural disasters.
HCTCPB secretary Veronica Wale said the company did not have evacuation plans in place for natural disasters.
Ms Wale said the company could not provide the board its evacuation plans or measures on disaster related risks.
She said even the tank structure is in question, though SPOL said it was built to international safety standards.
“Previous planning board already made it clear that the last tank that was built before the new one should be the last but still, SPOL continues to build the new one,” Ms Wale said.
She said the board’s decision to reject the company’s application is done in accordance with the Honiara City Town and Country Planning Board Act.
SPOL general manager Carson Korowa confirmed the planning board’s decision.
Mr Korowa said the company had handed to the board all that is required of them.
He said they are negotiating with the board because they don’t want to be seen heavy handed into this issue.
One option available to the company is to write to the Minister of Lands for his decision on the matter.
However, Mr Korowa said while that is an option the company prefers to follow the normal process of doing things.
“We are currently awaiting a response from the Honiara City Council after our discussions this week with a Honiara City Council building inspector,” the general manager said.
By Daniel Namosuaia
|< Prev||Next >|